Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Blog Entry 1

Hi there. My name is Seth Yohnka, but feel free to call me Seth. I am a theatre major with a double emphasis: performance and directing. My hobbies are acting, singing, playing video games, and watching TV and movies. Info about me that I'm willing to share...well, I'm a professional actor, and a member of the Screen Actor's Guild (or SAG) and I plan to return to LA after graduation. My bank account is - juuuuuuuuuust kidding.

The story of my reading life...that confused me at first, and I had to re-read it a couple times. And actually, THAT kinda sums up the story of my reading life. I started reading at an early age, but one issue I have always had is that as I read, my mind (or eye) wanders a bit and I have to go back and re-read the sentence or two again. On the other hand, when I read out loud, I usually grasp the meaning immediately, which has proven to be VERY useful in my career as an actor. Being able to "cold read" well makes you appear like a much better actor than you might actually be! ;) Nowadays, if I read for fun, I like to read autobiographies and other non-fiction by actors or other people that interest me.

I interviewed my wife. a co-student, and a professor. My wife said she reads fiction novels because real life is too boring. The student said he reads Stephen King because he likes his writing a lot. The professor said she reads historical fiction because she likes to be able to travel to different times and places and find out about things that may or may not have happened. Surprisingly, their experiences were UNlike mine, they all seemed to turn to fiction and I turn to non-fiction to escape...hmmm.

5 comments:

  1. I think there was one about worms! It's hard to keep track though, there are way too many haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Seth,

    My name is Lisa Ball and I live in Southern California, not too far from L.A.

    First of all, are you sure you want to return to L.A.? It is October and we are still experiencing 100-PLUS degree weather!!! ;o)

    I decided to comment on your blog even though we personally do not share common interests. I do, however, have a friend and former co-worker who made a bold choice this past year concerning the very career you have chosen. So, I have a deep respect to you for your diligence and passion for performance and directing.

    As for my friend, he taught 8th grade at the private school where I currently teach 3rd. He did this for 10 years. Just last year he decided to focus full-time on his acting career and he left the comfort of a steady paycheck. He has kept his head above water, but it has not been easy for him. I do admire a person who can make it in your business. "Kudos" to you and your wife!

    Where does your wife teach? Does she plan to continue once you move back to California? I wish you both the best. It's the perfect time to score big on property here if you plan to buy!

    Thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading it. And please feel free to give all of us your bank account number, okay?

    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seth-
    Thanks for the input....I was hesitant to divulge too much of my personal life in one blog entry, but I agree, I think writing a story about what happened would not only be interesting but also therapeutic. I haven't spent a lot of time talking about it really. I will warn you in advance...it's not the most comfortable thing to hear about :)
    Moving on, you're a professional actor? How fun! I'd always wished I had enough talent to pursue a career like acting....but I don't think anybody would enjoy watching me overplay my character and fumble my lines. I really do wish you the best of luck with your acting career. Maybe one day I'll see you on TV, and be able to say, "Hey, I know that guy!"
    I have a problem with skimming too, generally only when I'm even slightly uninterested in what I'm reading, but that would count as a lot of the textbooks I'm required to read for school (yikes, did I say that out loud?). It really makes things difficult to grasp.

    Also, I agree with Lisa...I'll be checking back for your bank account number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all you appear to be very funny! I agree with your wife real life is boring and life in books can be very exciting. Good luck on your career choice. Directing seems cool but very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Seth. Before I went to graduate school, I used to work in business management in Century City. I handled the personal and corporate books of a lot of rich folks in the biz who were completely out of touch with reality. Personally, I'm glad I got out of that world and into reading! :) But, of course, I gave up my acting career (in one high-school play, I appeared on stage only as a hand that held a book up--I wonder if that's symbolic?) for a steady paycheck. Nancy

    ReplyDelete