Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Quote Response 8

IAGO: "Now, sir, be judge yourself whether I in any just term am affined to love the Moor."
RODERIGO: "I would not follow him then."
IAGO: "O sir, content you. I follow him to serve my turn upon him." (Shakespeare 940)

This exchange happens very early in the play. I chose it because I think it's kinda rare, and therefore interesting, to have a villain reveal his intentions so early in a play. The fact that this conversation is in the play, and happens so early on, really helps set the tone for Iago's character right off the bat. Another reason I chose this is because I would love to get the chance to play Iago sometime.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Seth. This is a good point: "it's kinda rare, and therefore interesting, to have a villain reveal his intentions so early in a play." In this case, having Iago reveal his plans early creates a dramatic irony that exists until his plot is revealed in the end. The audience knows more than the characters. If successful, this irony will create suspense and encourage them to keep watching/reading. If not successful, the irony will give too much away. I've always thought that this irony worked pretty well. I liked being privvy to Iago's thinking; he's a really twisted guy, and I imagine playing him would be more fun than playing Othello. Nancy

    ReplyDelete