Thursday, October 8, 2009

Freestyle 2

So I wasn't sure if this was a true freestyle post, or if it had some kind of prompt. I checked a couple other blogs and it looks like a lot of people are talking about things they are currently reading outside of class. I'm currently reading the book "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" as well as the script, in preparation for the upcoming show. The book is amazing, and it's interesting to see how many of the lines in the play are direct quotes from the book. I read the book back in junior high, but I definitely think I am able to enjoy it better being quite a bit older.

Anybody else ever revisit something from their youth (book, movie, TV show) and appreciate it more/less or in a different way altogether?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Seth. Yes, for the freestyle posts, feel free to write about any of your reading or any reading topics, in or outside of class. It must be interesting to read the novel and the play alongside one another. What elements had to be changed to make the novel into a play?

    Regarding revisiting texts from youth, I remember reading a young adult novel about these kids that get left in a world of stairs. There's no place, just stairs. They have to kind of fight with one another for food. Finally, they get rescued, and find it was all an experiment related to the military. I came across the book in the public library a few months ago and read it again. Sadly, now I still can't remember the author or title. Because I had read it before, and probably because it was a young adult novel, I skimmed through it in a night, but I still couldn't put it down. It was just as gripping. Maybe now as an adult, I have more of a sense of the realities that our culture perpetrates on people to serve the people in power. Nancy

    ReplyDelete