Friday, October 2, 2009

Freestyle

So I am not currently involved in reading anything other than the required readings for my classes, and I'm not overly well-versed in the problems with literacy and such, but I will write about one issue that I kind of sensed/experienced/read about and decided to do my comic strip about. This is kids not reading as much because it's being forced upon them. I saw this most recently mentioned in Lacie's blog, but the schools are forcing reading so hard (which I do believe is necessary) that it starts to become more of a chore than something that can be enjoyable to young people. I think it's very unfortunate, but I don't know how else to ensure that children are reading enough during their developmental time. It's a "catch-22" I suppose. Kinda like not being able to get a credit card because you "haven't established a credit history." DUH! That's why we would want the card!

If you're interested, my comic strip can be found here:
http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/Comix/?comix_id=63050261C141092
I personally think this comic book thing was a really cool way to feel creative and artistic without needing actually ART talent (which I lack severely.)

2 comments:

  1. I participated in the SMART reading program for three years and plan to get back to it once I'm done with school. If all goes as planned I should be back in the elementry school hallway in the fall of 2010 and reading with the kids who struggle as I did (and to some extent still do). I agree that getting kids to read can be a challenge; bribery works. But what I found with the "my kids" was to pick out what they were interested in and bargain with them that if they read one page, I'll read one page. Pretty soon, like after a few weeks, they were taking over the books they picked out. I must say that it is so rewarding to see a child go from total disinterest in reading to boasting to you that they're "reading a chapter book." Each child is different and so we can't apply a one approach fits all. I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth,
    Thanks for your post! I agree that forcing kids to read doesnt work. I tried that with my boys, but until I found them books they were really interested in they just wouldn't read. As I said in one of my posts, the teachers who will be the most successful (in my opinion) will get the kids to read whatever they're interested in: magazines, comics-whatever.
    Thanks again for your post!

    ReplyDelete